Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Thoroughbred of...

How do you want to finish that?  There are several options.

The Thoroughbred of Transportation
The Thoroughbred of Safety
The Thoroughbred of ...

I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them right now.

I got the job offer from Norfolk Southern Corporation (aka "The Railroad" as it's none here in the 'Noke) back before Thanksgiving and I started the first week of December.

I really do like it at NS!  Even though the RR is a breed all it's own and there's a billion weird rules to learn dealing with a unionized company, the people are great!!  I work in one of the two Payroll departments and I just love my co-workers.  Everyone is uber friendly, super helpful when I have a question, and even though I feared that I would be bored out of my mind because I wouldn't have much to do they always found some lingering project that I could work on when my normal job duties were sparse.  The most randomly fun thing about working for NS though... everyone knows what a TB is!  So when people find out I have horses and they ask what kind I can say 2 are TBs and everyone is like, "Wow that's so cool!  You were meant to work here!" rather than, "What's that mean?  Does that mean it's a pure bred horse?".

However, I find it both comical and ironic that NS brands itself with the TB in its logo and all of it's "statements" and I'll explain why:
1) Calling itself the TB of transportation is a total oxymoron.  One of our trains, on average, can move 1 ton (that's 2,000 lbs) of freight over 436 miles on a single gallon of fuel.  In contrast, it seems like an average TB can burn an outrageous number of calories just walking around the field so you constantly have to feed them a much higher concentrate ration than other horses.
2) As evidenced by my dear boy Reily, TBs are a far cry from the safest creatures on the planet.  Horses in general are self destructive and TBs in particular, with their athletic drive, slim figure and thin skin they seem to constantly be on the mend from one issue or another.  Not to mention, with TBs like Boo, well he just has half a brain or something and is always spooking or bucking or kicking, etc. and if I was on a train that pulls something similar to his stunts, lets just say I wouldn't be here to write this now.

But I'm loving my new job, despite the fact that they have no idea what an actual Thoroughbred is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment